by Coby Enteen
Tablets are quickly becoming the ideal solution for school 1-to-1 programs. They provide a simple, lightweight, low-cost option for seamlessly incorporating technology into the classroom. Here are reasons why:
1. Simple, Lightweight Solution – The deployment of laptops into classrooms brought with it a great deal of physical constraints ranging from the weight of the device to the complications with charging and electricity. The tablet weighs very little and provides virtually all of the same learning resources.
2. Battery Capacity – Laptops used in the past would continuously need to be recharged, often during a lesson. This was a cause of frustration for many teachers and students and severely inhibited learning.
3. Low Maintenance – Most schools and educational organizations are dependent on large IT departments with significant budgets to run and maintain a server-client environment. Most tablets rely on cloud-storage solutions. Moreover, tablet operating systems are very solid, hardly ever get “stuck”, and are not as susceptible to computer viruses. The tablets themselves require very little technical care and maintenance, thus freeing up funding spent on IT support for other educational initiatives.
4. The Low Cost/Personal Device – The average cost of a tablet is much lower than a laptop or desktop offering schools with more flexibility and the ability to step closer to a true 1-to-1 learning solution. Tablets also enable learning experiences outside of school when provided as a personal device.
5. Apps, Apps and more Apps – Mobile device applications are slowly becoming the most popular form of software development. Every day more and more applications are being released and many of them are suitable for education.
An additional article on the subject from Digital Trends: